Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:23:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        committers@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal for ethernet, bridging, netgraph

I haven't had a chance to review this code as I'm travelling, but the
chances are it breaks bridge+ipfw as that code is rather fragile and
sensitive to mbuf foo.  I've been using a cleaned up version of the
bridge+ipfw code that causes ipfw to only affect IP, and cleans up a lot
of the behavior (although it doesn't fix the general DUMMYNET problem of
prefixing mbufs with a DUMMYNET tag).  It also doesn't fix the bug that
only allowed one DUMMYNET pipe to be applied to bridged packets, as any
pipe command in essence also acts as an accept (this should go into our
release ERRATA, btw).

I'm flying back to Massachusetts this evening, and may have a chance to
put up diffs at that point or tomorrow, but I think coordinating these
patches to go in at the same time would make sense.

As such, please hold off on committing until I can either get you the
patches and we can decide if that's a good idea or not :-)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> CC: to -committers
>
> I'm planning to check in this patch soon:
>
>   ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/misc/net.cleanup.patch.3
>
> The goal of the patch is simply to move the BPF and BRIDGE taps on
> Ethernet frame input from the individual drivers up into ether_input(),
> while attempting to preserve any existing "avoid unnecessarily
> reading packets" optimizations (specifically in the if_ed.c and
> if_ie.c drivers).
>
> The result:
>
>   1140 lines removed
>   187 lines added
>
> This patch has been reviewed by freebsd-net already, but I'm trying
> to give a lot of warning because..
>
>   o I don't have all 47 types of Ethernet cards to test. In fact
>     my -current machine only has one so I can't even test BRIDGE'ing.
>     At least BPF still works :-)
>
>   o It's not completely clear which drivers are shared with other
>     versions of 'BSD -- if I've missed any, they will need some
>     #ifdef __FreeBSD__ modifications.
>
> Thanks!
> -Archie
>
> P.S.: there are lots of other "cleanups" that could be done;
> please discuss these on freebsd-net (i.e., remove -committers).

  Robert N M Watson