Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 10:38:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Remy Nonnenmacher <remy@boostworks.com>
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, committers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal for ethernet, bridging, netgraph

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000, Remy Nonnenmacher wrote:

> On 28 Apr, Robert Watson wrote:
> >
> > Per my comment a little bit ago, please find patches that clean up the
> > bridge/ipfw code a little at:
> >
> > 	http://www.watson.org/~robert/bridge.patch
> >
> > Because I'm travelling, I haven't had a chance to build or use the code in
>
> Nice try Robert, but the topic of the discussion haven't reached the
> bridging code level. Next step.

On the contrary -- one of the fundamental problems we've been discussing
here is that the layering needs sorting out -- physical layer, link layer,
and above, are all mixed up.  We're pushing the bridging and packet
sniffing interaction further up the stack, and as such some interfaces are
changing.  As the current bridge code is transparent at the link layer, it
makes sense to me that it would be cleaned at the same time.  In fact, in
order that we properly clean the physical/link layer code, we need to
better understand and simplify the bridge code so that we can do the job
right.

  Robert N M Watson