Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:11:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        nik@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/games/fortune/datfiles freebsd-tips

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> On 16 Jun, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > nik         2001/06/16 04:42:29 PDT
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >     games/fortune/datfiles freebsd-tips
> >   Log:
> >   More tips, this time from the Russian Fidonet FreeBSD Echo.
>
> Speaking of tips, can we have shell-specific tips "subsections"?  When
> asked for tips, the fortune(6) will detect the user's shell and add the
> particular subsection to the pool of quotes to choose from... Things
> like ``setenv NAME value'' vs. ``NAME=value; export NAME'', etc.

Sounds like you want a usertip(1) which looks at context and gives advice,
or given a specific topic, identifies advice appropriate to that topic?
:-)

Overloading fortune with this might not be the right path forwards: it has
the right properties for a random message, but not for context-sensitive
stuff.