Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 05:23:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/iir iir.c iir.h iir_ctrl.c iir_pci.c src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC LINT src/sys/modules Makefile

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Michael Smith wrote:

> > -On [20020504 09:00], Mike Smith (msmith@FreeBSD.org) wrote:
> > >  Log:
> > >  Bring the iir(4) driver back to -stable, at the request of the maintainer.
> >
> > I kindly ask the maintainer to actually backport the code to work under
> > STABLE instead of just asking for a commit of CURRENT-only code to STABLE
> > [which is under a source code freeze by the way].
>
> The code in -current *did* work under -stable, and unless someone
> spooged it without talking to me or the maintainer, should still.

Sorry to lay it on, but...  Generally speaking, the *minimum* requirements
for committing to the RELENG_4 branch involve more than just test
compiling the code before the commit.  This applies even under normal
conditions, let alone during a code freeze.

> I've apologised for running into the freeze to re@, who appear to be
> dead or something.

Dead in what sense?  Your first e-mail to re@ regarding iir was this
evening, that I can find, and that was after you committed.  A brief
search of the re@ archive doesn't turn up any other requests regarding iir
that I can find from anyone else either, but I may have missed them.  re@
generally goes for a 24 hour turn-around, so I think <2 hour turn-around
doesn't really constitute "dead" as much as "blinking" :-).

> I'll go see what's broken; sorry for the inconvenience.

Hopefully once more of re@ has had a chance to read your MFC notification,
re@ will let you know if this needs to be backed out entirely.  Assuming
the normal decision making process this early in the freeze, I see no
reason that it would need to be.