Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:15:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The new vinum_geom

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:

> OK, all of the above has been added now.
>
> The FAQ actually has a bit of content now, though it's mainly links.  I
> plan to work further on the FAQ over the comming days, but others are
> very welcome to come with suggestions or more content.
>
> Nik Clayton suggested to move this into the FreeBSD Architecture
> Handbook, and I think that's a good idea, so that the long term goal,
> but I want to wait with that until there are some more actual content.

Sounds good to me!

> The source for the GEOM FAQ is avaible as standard DocBook SGML in the
> directory http://people.freebsd.org/~simon/geomfaq/ .

Suggestion for question 1.1 -- add the following after the first sentence:

  Translations provided by current GEOM classes include disk layout
  and partitioning schemes, such as FDISK slices, GPT slices, and BSD
  partitions.  Also, GEOM includes a number of more complex classes
  implementing servies such as UFS volume labeling, disk mirroring, and
  RAID. GEOM provides abstractions making it easy to implement new disk
  layouts, as well as providing important infrastructure for implementing
  more complex storage services, such as RAID and logical volume
  management.  These include standard mechanisms for auto-discovery, I/O
  request flow management, composition, and management services.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research