Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 19:10:15 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4 MB RAM? (long)

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Marc Schneiders wrote:

> There is 24 MB of swap. I have looked at top a number of times and
> there was only little of it used. Maybe the daily checks take a lot of
> it? I will throw them out first and see what happens.

I think you mention that this machine has 2 drives - if so, it might be
worth the pain to rearrange your partitioning so that the swap is spread
equally over both drives, as I understand that FreeBSD interleaves access
to swap (probably works better with SCSI than IDE though...).

You mention that your current kernel is ~1.5M - just for reference I have
a 2.2.6R server (486) with a ~1.15M kernel (2.2.6R GENERIC is ~1.5M) and a
3.2R SMP workstation (C300Ax2) with a ~1.75M kernel (3.2R GENERIC is
~2.3M). Both boxes have a trimmed config, though the 3.2 box has sound and
a couple of other "extras".

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia