Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 1996 00:32:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Charles Green <green@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX Specification

On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Charles Green wrote:

>         How close to the "SINGLE UNIX SPECIFICATION" is FreeBSD?

I'm tempted to laugh here.  You may not know it, but lack of a SINGLE
UNIX SPECIFICATION is probably the single most talked about subject of
the last 10 years for the Unix community.  Since there is no such thing,
well, FreeBSD is (I suppose) as close as my digital wristwatch.

Seriously, the reason I originally went with FreeBSD (versus Linux) was
because FreeBSD is based on the BSD specs (then 4.3, now 4.4).  Linux is
much less closely tethered to one standard, although that can't be
misconstrued as saying anything really negative about Linux, which isn't a
bad product itself.  Linus (the guy who wrote the original Linux kernel)
controls the development of the kernel itself (so I've been informed),
but not the userland stuff.

This is very philosophical, be real careful in drawing too much from it.
FreeBSD does (in my own opinion) care somewhat more about standards, and
definitely has a lot of very good points, including pretty solid
networking code, and relatively fewer fanatics on the mailing lists here
than Linux seems to have.

> --
> Charles Green, PRC Inc.			             UN*X System Administration
> 22 Powell Ave. Apt. B 		   	                  UN*X Security   &
> Whitesboro, NY 13492 			                     Programming

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.