Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 1995 12:48:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tip "link down" err msg

HI folks;

	I have been beating on tip and cu ever since i lost my ppp
connection ( sigh ). As it stands currently, i can get cu to work
adequately for communication purposes ( that is what i am using now to
write this ) but it is not sufficient for implementing file transfers with
rz/sz, do to it's failure to spawn proc via ~C.

	So, since i have perused the faq, i have now got tip to read the
/etc/phones file. It also seems to be parsing the /etc/remote file to a
large extent because it understands my "uw" argument to tip. But no
matter what happens or what line in the file i get it to read, the tip
session times out with the "link down" mssg.

	The modem is an apparently standard hayes compatible 14.4. It has
worked with all comm progs i have used with it.

	Here is the modified portions of my /etc/remote:
shit ! i have to type this by hand! cu is acting really weird wrt to
copying from a vi to cu via drag and drop! )) >;(

unix57600|57600 Baud dial-out to a UNIX system:\
	:el=^U^C^R^O^D^S^Q:ie=%$:oe=^D:tc=dial57600

dial57600|57600 Baud Hayes attributes:\
	:dv=/dev/ttyd2:br#57600:cu=/dev/ttyd2:at=hayes:du:

tip57600|Generic tip line:dv=/dev/ttyd2:br#57600:pa=none:at=hayes:du:

tip0|Cheesy entry:\
:dv=/dev/ttyd2:br#57600:cu=/dev/ttyd2:at=hayes:du

whew! that sucked! i hate doing that! that's why we have x! anyway, any
help would be appreciated!

tnx
 John Utz	spaz@stein.u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life