Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:50:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Szumowski <harpo@javanet.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel build

The default kernel may or may not recognize above 16 megs of ram,
depending on your bios. I have 36 and needed to add a maxmem entry.
Here's the relavent line:
options		"MAXMEM=(36*1024)"
(from lint... i don't have my home machine handy)
Sorry- don't know what to say about that error message.
I've always:
1. cd to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
2. edit kernel config
3. run "config MYKERNEL" (or whatever)
4. cd to build dir
5. make
6. make install

One thought...are you trying to compile a different kernel than release
(i.e. a 2.2 on a 2.1.x)

Hope this shot in the dark hits something. ;-)