Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 00:21:50 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Rebuilding perl after cvsup

When I try and rebuild perl after running a cvsup (which removes certain of
the generated files), make depend bombs out with:

===> gnu/usr.bin/perl/perl
sh config_h.sh
Can't find config.sh.

and I have to 'make clean' and rebuild the whole thing.

This presumably isn't a problem for using make world, but it bites you every
time if you're rebuilding using 'make all' (which is much quicker, and usually
works just fine). This is not the supported way to do things, I know, but is
this problem easy to fix?

Remaking perl also seems to spend a lot of time rebuilding manpages and so
forth which haven't changed..I guess this is a side-effect of the generally
ugly build process for PERL which I've heard rumours about :-)

Kris