Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 20:48:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@lgc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SUP and make world questions

I've run RELEASE since 1.1.5.1.  Now i've got a machine I'd like to run
current on.  So I figure I'll use 801-SNAP as the base.  I've had it
running fine and playing with it.  Good stuff!

Now, lets start tracking the src tree.  Read the stuff on sup and start my
first sup last night. It takes quite a while, finally finishes.  Start
make world and it dies somewhere (dont remember).  Figure I've munged my
/usr/src somewhere along the way, probably got 2 versions of binaries (801
& some from my sup)  I figure I'll clean the slate, so I re-ftp the
801-SNAP/src files (ie. ssys.aa, etc).  Ok, nuke my previous /usr/src and
reinstall 801-SNAP /usr/src.  now lets do a make world to get us back to
good'ol 801-SNAP.  Dies in fetch (ftpLogin wrong # args).  Hmmm, whatd'ive
done?

As you can tell I'm quite new to attempting to track current and a bit
confused, could some of you seasoned sup'ers enlighten me on a couple of
things?

Questions:
1) Sup took forever the first time.  Get the whole tree? Is this right?

2) Did I take the best avenue to stepping back to know src by re-ftping
the 801-SNAP src distributions and installing them in a freshly rm -rf'd
/usr/src?

3) Since I've got a fresh src tree that don't work, where do I go now?

4) Are my partial sup'ed and made src tree binaries a bad thing?  I've got
some binaries on the system that are not 801-SNAP, I just made them and
they may be wrong/bad, no? (I kept my 801 kernel around and am running it
with my bastardized binary collection)

5) chicken & egg question:  Good or Bad to re-build kernel with newly
supped src and boot it before making world?

Thanks for your help and patience,
-Rob