Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 10:05:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        "R. Pina" <falcon@mail.bw.lgca.ohio.gov>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP, Quotas, and mount

On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, R. Pina wrote:

> I understand that I need to rebuild my kernel with PPP and Quota options
> enabled, but is there any documentation that can tellme how I can do it
> without zorching everything on my system and starthing from scratch?  Or
> is that the only way it can be done?
> Any help on this topic would be great.
>
> Also, whats the cmd to mount a CD again? I lost my notes... its something
> like ``mount -f /dev/cd0a <something> /cdrom''

Building a new kernel maybe entails _some_ risk, but not that much

1) cd to .usr/src/sys/i386/conf
2) copy GENERIC to another filename, and edit the file to your requirements.
3) while still in conf, enter 'config NEWCONFIGFILENAME', putting the
   name you have given to the new config file.  Make sure you put that name
   inside the config file too, in its correct place (search for GENERIC in
   the GENERIC file, you'll see it).
4) cd to ../../compile/NEWCONFIGFILENAME
5) make depend
6) make
7) If no errors, make install, then reboot and cross your fingers.

I mount my cd with 'mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0a /cdrom'.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |