Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 09:14:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@miles.sso.loral.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   converting a Dos partition to FreeBSD

I couldn't wait... and opened my Christmas present early. It was a
2.14 GB Conner SCSI drive. Now I have a question about the final step
to integrate it into my system.

old config:
   wd0 (340MB) - dos & windows
   sd0 (500MB)- FreeBSD 2.0.5R

new config:
   sd0 (2.1GB)- dos, windows + 500 MB partition for FreeBSD (new drive)
   sd1 (500MB)- FreeBSD 2.0.5R (existing drive)

Moved all dos & windows to new drive. Left a partition for FreeBSD (sd0s2).
Booted FBSD from floppy (sd(1,a)/kernel). Fixed up /etc/fstab so that
mounts worked from sd1 rather than sd0 (completely forgot that part)
The system is now functional.

 >? what do I have to do to sd0s2 so that I can mount it back to FBSD?
 >? I intend to move / , /usr , and swap to sd0s2 eventually, how do
I label that partition and define the Freebsd partitions? disklabel,
fdisk, what?

Thanks in advance for any help

PS. I had to uncable my CDRom to connect the new drive, so I no longer
have access to the Install medium :-[

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@miles.sso.loral.com | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |