Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:22:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to add new system calls...

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, John Birrell wrote:
> The answer depends on whether or not you are running -current.
> For 2.2.x, you do need to edit /usr/src/lib/libc/sys/Makefile.inc.
> For -current, the syscalls will be automatically built into libc by
> declaring them in syscalls.master, executing makesyscalls.sh and then
> doing a make obj, depend, all and install from /usr/src/lib/libc.

And boy is this slick. At the extreme linux workshop one issue that came
up was the difficulty of adding system calls to linux. It's quite messy.
I pointed out that I thought freebsd was a real leader in this area, but,
(and this is strange) the counter-argument from some of the linux folks
was that they didn't want to see people "corrupting the purity of the
system call namespace" (those actual words ...).

ron