Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 10:01:11 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> According to Michael Hancock:
> > The ability to resize partitions in itself is worthwhile.
>
> Yes as long as we don't lose too much speed... Something I've always hated
> about JFS on AIX is that it is dog slow.

VxFS isn't dog slow.

> > JFS or VXFS-like, metadata logging for increased robustness and faster
> > reboots without the need for fsck in regular operation would also be nice.
>
> It is called LFS and it is supposed to be more usable in lite2... LFS + LVM
> would be very nice to have.

LFS, while very cool, is a very different animal.  It requires a *lot* of
RAM by design because it assumes that the majority of reads will be done
on the cache.  It optimizes disk writes at the expense of disk reads.
Probably a reasonable assumption for Future Cool Hardware, TM.

The LFS cleaner daemon scheduling algorithm might make for some
interesting work.  When do you clean?  The answer is going to be different
for different people.

The current implementation still lacks an fsck, which you still would want
to have available.

Contrast it with meta-data logging which is usually an extension of an
existing fs.

Regards,

Mike Hancock