Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:12:40 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Reini (Reinhold Huber)" <Reinhold.Huber@Fachschaften.TU-Muenchen.DE (Reinhold Huber)>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multi-version FS

Hi there

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Yesterday I had a visit from some sales people of Rational Technologies
> who are offering a version control/management under NT (named ClearCase)
> which is kind of GUI based (explorer centric) and which establishes a
> multi version FS under NT (they say 'developed by the people who
> designed the VMS file system' - well, I cannot judge if this can be
> considered a big plus :-). Anyway, is there such a thing as a
> MVFS (multi version FS) under FreeBSD and would it be worth
> taking a look at it ?

I worked as a student with Atria ClearCase, and it sounds very much the
same.
OS environment was Solaris (on sparc). The ClearCase Software offered
the *whole* "repository" (CVS word) as a special device to be mounted
via NFS. In this FS, any file can be accessed with a

<filename>@@/main[/<branch1>[/<branch2> ... ]]/<version number>

syntax. ls only shows the filenames, and with the file name alone, the
version specified by a set of selection rules, which is set up by the user,
is shown. This allows developers to work on the same development files
rather than checking them out to different working directories, and
avoids problems that can come up when reintegrating the different
directories with tools of the revision control software used.

I think it does _not_ belong in the kernel, but it requires a very
intelligent replacement for nfsd. Excuse me for not knowing the right
word here. nfsd is not replaced, it is still used for server filesystems
(homes, software, ...).

This whole thing is something for "user" software, not the OS, I think.
Maybe Atria or Rational Technologies has patent(s) on that technology,
then it is difficult to make something like that anyway.

Perhaps there are developers in the FreeBSD area who are interested in
using software like this not only on their other platforms, but with
intel, too. If the manufacturer ported ClearCase by himself for FreeBSD,
then this would be the reason for these firm(s) to use FreeBSD for their
intel machines.

Greetings,
Reinhold Huber