Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 11:54:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        bsd account <bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP!...starting a DNS

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, bsd account wrote:
> I've  erad some FAQs & handbook but I can't see the steps I need to
> implement a DNS on this machine. Do I ...
> a) in RC.conf set    1) gateway = YES

Not needed unless this machine will also be a gateway.

> 		     2) then what ?

Also in rc.conf set

	named_enable="YES"
	named_flags="-b /etc/named/named.boot"

					^- substitute the path to your boot file here

> b) I have the /etc/named directory on floppy from my old machine
> which an ISP set up  with DNS / Routing Gateway enebled.
> Do I simply copy it to my new machine? It came from a 2.1.5 FBSD

You can use it as a reference but unless none of the IP addresses
have changed you won't be able to use it as is.  The file format
itself is unchanged for 4.9.x versions of named.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com