Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 96 03:03:04 CST
From:      cjk@hnv.com (Chris Kunath)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   QIC-150 DATA PROTECT errors

Have an Archive 2525es (known rogue) 525MB tape drive attached to a
generic 486/40 with Adaptec 1542C SCSI running FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE
(am saving pennies for 2.1.0...).

This drive will let me use QIC-150 tapes if I give a density command:

	mt -f /dev/rst0 density 0x10

I've been picking up lots of QIC-150 tapes from garage sales, closeouts
and the like, and have run into problems with some of the tapes.  The
particular tapes were evidently commercial software distribution tapes,
which I can't write to!  When I try, I get these messages:

	st0(aha0:4:0): DATA PROTECT csi:0,0,80,8

These tapes are not in SAFE mode, and I can detect no differences
between the "bad" tapes and the good ones.

Is it possible that these tapes have some extra holes burned in them
somewhere to write-protect regardless of the position of the "SAFE"
write-protect thingie?

And does anyone have proper density and tape length parameters for
QIC-150 tapes?  When I run this dump command:

	dump 0ubdsf 126 10000 615 /dev/rst0.0 /dev/rwd1s3e

to back up my 450 MB /usr filesystem, it takes nine 150 MB tapes!
This is a ~1GB filesystem, but there is only around 500MB of data
on it -- is the raw device actually making an "image" track-by-track
dump of the filesystem?

Wondering,
cjk@hnv.com