Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 18:48:22 +0100
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   UK wires-only ADSL

Just wondering if anyone has much experience with the wires-only ADSL
installs in the UK.

I can't find anything about compatibility with FreeBSD so I'm wondering
which modems/routers people have had luck with.

I'm assuming routers will be less likely to cause problems because they
can usually be configured from a web browser, but I know BT used to get
quite stroppy about not having a Windows machine plugged into the USB
modems so I'm guessing some of them may require a direct connection to
Windows to do anything useful.

I've heard mixed things about Alcatel kit on most OSes so I'm open to
other options, I've also heard good stuff about DrayTek but only from
Windows users.  Since Ethernet isn't a problem and I've even got a
couple of ZoomAir wireless NICs around I should be okay with most
options I guess.

TIA
Kevin
--