Date:      Wed, 7 Dec 2016 13:10:56 +0000
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "dcbdbis@centurylink.net" <dcbdbis@centurylink.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 11 and AMD RX 480 GPU

On 12/07/16 17:30, freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:
> Good evening all,
>
> I have removed my NVidia card in my system, and replaced it with the
> subject GPU. On the wiki, it does not list my card, and the wiki seems
> to be a tad old - thus this email. When I re-install FreeBSD 11, what
> kind of graphics support will I have? VESA? Or?  Basically, what can I
> expect? The AMDGPU(open source) package seems to work in the Linux world
> when I boot a live CD for testing. But I don't have a live CD for
> FreeBSD that uses a desktop - and thus graphics.

Hi Dave,

As per a post at freebsd-x11 I read a couple of days back, AMDGPU is=20
still downstream in FreeBSD - and will likely remain that way till mid 2017=
.

If you are looking to run your AMD GPU under FreeBSD, your best option=20
for the time being probably is TrueOS (the successor to PC-BSD).

I am a bit surprised that you replaced your NVidia card for a new GPU=20
without first checking on its support under FreeBSD.

Regards
Manish Jain