Date:      Sat, 22 Oct 2016 14:48:43 +0000
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is it time to retire the scanner ?

On 10/22/16 19:48, Warren Block wrote:
> It's unlikely.  ata0 would be related IDE hardware, probably a hard
> drive.  Given that, this is likely a pretty old motherboard.

All of my hardware is max 2 months old - board, disk, RAM, DVD drive,=20
cabinet, PSU. The motherboard is a brand new Gigabyte SB970 based, and=20
the disk a 2 month old Samsung EVO 850 SSD. The CPU is relatively old -=20
something like 3 years old - Athlon X2 270 Regor.

Further proof for your inclination that the error is not related to=20
scanner : occasionally (but not always) when I boot up, I see this on=20
the console - with the scanner still powered off :

(ada0:ata0:0:1:0): READ_DMA48. ACB: 25 00 df ea ff 40 33 00 00 00 01 00
(ada0:ata0:0:1:0): CAM status: Command timeout
(ada0:ata0:0:1:0): Retrying command

I have no idea what the above means, but it does suggest to me that the=20
scanner cannot be blamed if it is still powered off.

The newest things in the system are the PSU, cabinet, RAM, and DVD drive=20
- all swapped just yesterday. Could the DVD drive be the source ?

Returning to the scanner, I have been running 'scanimage -L' as root.=20
Between 0 and 4 times in succession, the command reports normal output :

<output>
/root <<: scanimage -L
device `pixma:04A9176C_43130B' is a CANON Canon PIXMA MG2400 Series=20
multi-function peripheral
</output

And then suddenly, it goes dead
/root <<: scanimage -L
#does not return now

> If the scanner works on XP, the hardware is fine.  This is more likely a
> problem with USB and multifunction devices on FreeBSD.  It could be
> solvable.

Thanks for lending me hope. I am really struggling - just invested=20
something like USD 600 on a total system upgrade to make this superslick=20
machine. But it's all turning to ashes if the hardware starts going=20
bonkers already.

Would you suggest I wait a while for some further proof to accumulate;=20
or I should try making a fresh install of FreeBSD 10.2/11 (my current=20
system 10.3).

Unrelated to this, there is a bug in 10.3 amd64 install - most of the=20
times I have set up 10.3, the installer forgets to put the boot code in=20
the MBR. So immediately after install, I have to run a live shell and=20
run boot0cfg to get the boot code there.

Thanks again
Manish Jain