Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 1995 18:19:03 +0300
From:      Gennady Sorokopud <gena@NetVision.net.il>
To:        Stefan Esser <esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Cc:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Please give feedback: New PCI configuration mechanism test

Hello!

In message <199506121208.AA25186@FileServ1.MI.Uni-Koeln.DE> Stefan Esser writes:
>After some problems with the "Compaq Prosignia 300"
>I've taken a look at the PCI specification rev. 2.0
>(don't have 2.1, yet, anybody able to check for
>major differences between 2.0 and 2.1 regarding
>configuration space accesses and especially changes
>to chapters 3.6.4.1.x).
>
>The following patch should be tested on as many
>PCI motherboards as possible, since I don't want
>to break PCI support for old systems with this
>patch.
>
>I've tested it on a Saturn based i486 system and
>will try it on a Pentium later today.

Ok, i just tested your patch on P90 Compaq Prosignea
and it finally recognized the PCI bus!!
Now i can install FreeBSD on it! Thanks a lot!

(Also it finds only 16Mb RAM instead of 32 but
it's a different problem )

>Please report any problems with this patch !
>
>There is a slight chance, that a chip set that
>supports PCI configuration mechanism 2 will be
>erroneously detected as supporting mechanism 1.

And i also tested this patch on Digital P90, and it still
recognizes PCI exactly like it did before.

>If a PCI system stops working with this patch,
>I'd like to receive boot messages as written
>by the working (i.e. unpatched) kernel.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>STefan

Best regards.
--------
 Gennady B. Sorokopud - System programmer at NetVision Israel.
 E-Mail: gena@NetVision.net.il
 Homepage: http://www.netvision.net.il/~gena

 This message was sent at 06/12/95 18:30:05 by XF-Mail