Date:      Mon, 07 Jul 1997 07:48:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Duane H. Hesser" <alex@androcles.com>
To:        Christopher Petrilli <petrilli@amber.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>, Colman Reilly <careilly@monoid.cs.tcd.ie>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Security Model/Target for FreeBSD or 4.4?

There is a Version 7 document by Dennis Ritchie, available online, which
ought to be a good beginning for a study or discussion of Unix security:

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan/vol2/security

This is troff source (and the marcros are also available).  In fact, most
of the Version 7 manual sources for volumes 1 and 2 are at that address
(bookmark it NOW, before you forget).   Another applicable document you
will find there is

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan/vol2/password

This is a short discussion by Robert Morris and Ken Thompson regarding
password security.

I seem to recall another document--prbably from around that same time--
which discussed the "friendly enemies" approach to checking security.
I'll see if I can find it in my old manuals (does it ring a bell with anyone?).

On 06-Jul-97 Christopher Petrilli wrote:

>>> I also spent a couple of hours fighting with Alta Vista looking for relevant
>>> documents and didn't find very much. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>/usr/src? :)
>>
>>Seriously, I doubt you'll find that anyone has sat down and documented
>>this aspect of the system specifically.  If you want to study the
>>security implementation in detail, the sources remain the first and
>>foremost resource.  In fact, they probably represent the ONLY resource.
>>Good luck!
>
>I will note that there has been off and on talk of a C2 certified FreeBSD
>implementation, which would require documentation.
>
>I think it's important to understand that few OSes (outside the "big
>boys" like VMS, MVS, VM, GUARDIAN, etc.) have documented formal security
>polcies.  Mostly it's just whatever a programmer feels like.
>
>Christopher
>
>--
>| Christopher Petrilli                               "That's right you're
>| petrilli@amber.org                                  not from Texas."

Duane H. Hesser
dhh@androcles.com