Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 1997 19:52:41 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@tri-lakes.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Making a release...

I've looked through the handbook and can't find out just HOW to make a
release.  Looking through /usr/src/release/Makefile got me on the right
path, but I still can't get it to work.  Lets say, for instance, i want to
make a release relative to /usr/RELEASE, and call it 2.2.5-BETA.  I use
cvsup, if that matters, to update the source tree almost daily.

On the command line, the CHROOTDIR, BUILDNAME, RELEASETAG, and CVSROOT can
and/or need to be set. CHROOTDIR and BUILDNAME are rather
self-explanatory.  The last to are not, to me at least.

I've tried this and it doesn't work:
make release CHROOTDIR=/usr/RELEASE BUILDNAME=2.2.5-BETA
RELEASETAG=RELENG_2_2 CVSROOT=/usr

It failed on something like "/usr/CVSROOT does not exist".  Hmm.. I think
I'll try CVSROOT=/ next time.. anyway.. More detailed instructions from
someone would still be great.  This could make a good handbook topic.

The purpose of me doing this is to try and help out a bit and making sure
everything gets installed correctly. (I hope there's enough time left..
I'll do it tonight if possible).  I would just futz around with it a few
times and figure it out myself normally, but release time isn't too far
away. :-)  Yay!

--- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@tri-lakes.net