Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:45:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange CVS behavior

On 23-Jan-98 Nate Williams wrote:

>> > Is it installed where the stuff in CVSROOT expects it.
>>
>> pkg_add perl*.tgz
>
> You didn't answer my question.  Is it installed where the files in
> CVSROOT expects it.

Sorry.  I thought I did.  none of the installation changed.  The system is
installed EXACTLY standard.  I did not install anything new.  So although I
do not KNOW the answer, I cann assume it to be ``yes''.

In the meantime, I built perl5 from the ports collection and forced
re-install.  This took catre of it.

Thanx for quickly pointing out the culprit (perl).  What corrupted I really
do not know.  Neither do I know why.

> So, your machine isn't named freefall, so it doesn't matter that it's
> the FreeBSD tree or sources.
>
> The commitcheck doesn't/shouldn't allow connections except from
> freefall.  The commit script sends email to people, and other
> misc. things are assumed if you use the stock files in the FreeBSD CVS
> tree.

Oh, I understand that.  I am not attempting to commit any of this.  When I
use ``cvs add'' for my stuff, I get the benefit that ``cvs update'' and
``cvs diff'' understand my desire for harnmoneous source tree and merge and
diff the entire delta my project does.  I started doing this at the
suggestion of either Justin or David.  And it works very well for my needs.

Thanx for the help.

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro
Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG                      Voice:   503.799.2313