Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 09:11:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steven Schwarz <schwarz@doctord.com>
To:        Stewart Morgan <stewart@BITS.bris.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: AIC-7895 SCSI controller

On 15-Feb-98 Stewart Morgan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>       I've recently purchased a Tyan Thunder 2 (S2696DLUA) motherboard with
> built in SCSI support... unfortunately, I've been unable to pursuade BSD
> to recognise the chipset: AIC-7895.
>
>       My question is: will a driver be available soon? Or, can BSD be fudged
> to recognise it as a 3940AUW (the motherboard manual says the two are
> equivalent)?

For what it's worth, I have this motherboard's onboard SCSI working
just fine with a system built from Justin Gibbs' CAM snapshot from 8
December 1997 applied to a -current system from the same date.  [Later
snaps of the CAM software exist.  Check for them at the freebsd ftp
site.]

I think I understand correctly that enough is different about the
AIC-7895 with respect to other earlier 78xx's that small patches to
the -stable or -current sources will simply not get you a working
AIC-7895.  (The strategy employed in writing the 78xx driver does not
work on the AIC-7895 because Tyan did not implement the registers
used.)

So, depending on your tolerance for running non-released kernel code
on this system, you may be able to get it going fairly quickly; or you
may have to add a supported SCSI card, and bide your time on using the
on-board SCSI, til the CAM code is committed and released (which I
understand may be more than a little while).

sts