Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:55:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail going commercial, and ?

On 17-Mar-98 jack wrote:

..

> _IF_ the sendmail opponents bothered to read the announcement
> they only saw what they wanted to see and totally ignored the
> paragarph that states:

..

Don't take it seriously Jack.  This is all good hearted.  Also, we are no
dummies and realize the grandfather clauses in US commerce, etc.

On the serious side of it, there is a strong, well educated,
and well founded resistance to what/how sendmail works.  This objection was
valid in the early 1980's, and still is valid today.

The only true virtue of sendmail is that it was there while nothing else
was.  Well, this is not true, nor accurate either.  But it is the
``standard'' SMTP MTA with UUCP support that functions.

To quote its heritage, etc., as proof of quality is akin to saying that M$
Lose95 is the best O/S, in the world, or that Messy-Word is the best word
processor.  Both statements are as incorrect as can be.

BTW, I am NOT putting sendmail in the same class as M$ stuff.  To do so is
purely offensive to Sendmail, its creator, maintainers, and fans.

Simon