Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 09:07:04 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: interesting stuff

On 15-May-98 Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> Computer Serial port Thermometer
>       http://www.spiderplant.com/hlt/index.html
>
> Serial/I2C LCD displays
>       http://www.telusplanet.net/public/matrixoc/
>
> I2C FAQ
>       http://www.paranoia.com/%7Efilipg/HTML/LINK/ELE/F_I2C.html
>
> So... Anyone wanna do a generic multi I2C bus to RS-232 adapter (at least
> 19.2k)?

It's usually easier to do these on the parallel port (god knows how many phase
locked loops I've programmed down that!).

One "problem" with the I2C is that it
is not a TTL compatible bus, so a bit of hardware is need to convert the logic
levels.

Secondly, the framing on the I2C bus doesn't lend itself well to UART style
parity/start/stop bits.

I would suggest that a parallel port driver be plugged into the ppbus framework.
It owuld be something I would find useful at work!

---