Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 10:41:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      laszlo vagner <vetex@WWW.TIMANDPATRICK.COM>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Jim <jameso@elwood.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a desktop

a few of the best programs i found are gqview and wxftp
great for editing pictures and sending them to your site!

also gimp is pretty nifty if i could ever get the download time
for the manual its 16 meg.

What i am looking for is a doc, rtf, file editor like
word.

with slow connection i am forced to buy the staroffice cd i guess.

On 31-May-99 Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 1999, Jim wrote:
>

>> This weekend I install FreeBSD at home. Up untill this point I sweared by
>> its use as a server platform, I have had great luck with it as a server.
>> but this weekend has been a new experience for me. I got X-win up and going
>> for the first time, compiled in sound support, and got it working as a natd
>> for my home network. Problem is, I cant find much info with running Unix as
>> a desktop OS.
>>
>> If anyone has any suggestions on good books about running Unix as a desktop
>> (things like X tweaking, getting a movie player, etc), I would love to hear
>> them. Thanks.
>
> You didn't say how experianced you are with unix...
>
> I suggest next time you are at a bookstore look for "Unix Secrets"
> and thumb through it.  It may be what you are looking for.
>
> It doesn't cover the "modern" apps (GNOME,KDE,etc) but It has
> "stupid X tricks" amongst other fun things you can do.
>
> as far as applications, I would suggest looking into /usr/ports,
> many nifty things are lying there waiting:
>
> movie player: /usr/ports/graphics/xanim/
> full desktop like system: /usr/ports/x11/kde11
>
> just look around, do a search on:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html
>
> enjoy,
> -Alfred

----------------------------------
Vetex
C/O L. Vagner
3600 W. Mountain Drive
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Webpage: nadxa.com
E-Mail: laszlo vagner <vetex@vetex.com>
Date: 31-May-99
Time: 10:38:28

Windows Exception Error:  noun: Meaning-
With the exception of a reboot anything
you do will fail to recover the system.