Date:      Mon, 7 Dec 2009 09:41:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        George Liaskos <geo.liaskos@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: radeonhd 1.3.0 slow window moving

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Marco Beishuizen wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, George Liaskos wrote:
>
>> Give x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati a try
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2009-December/009093.html
>
> What are the differences between the ati and the radeonhd driver? Is the
> ati-driver for all Ati cards and the radeonhd specifically for RadeonHD
> cards, or are there more differences?

ati is package of drivers that supports radeon, r128, and other (older)
ATI cards.  With ati installed, you can enter "ati" for the driver in
the Device section of xorg.conf and it will pick the right driver.  Or
you can just enter "radeon" and skip the autoselection.  The radeon
driver supports the whole range of radeon cards including the HD series,
although later chipsets aren't fully supported yet.  See radeon(4x) for
a list of cards and types of acceleration supported.

radeonhd is a separate driver meant to support only radeon R500 (Radeon
X1300) and above cards.

My impression is that the radeon driver is more mainstream and probably
less experimental than radeonhd.  I'd try the radeon driver first, and
only use radeonhd if it offers better support for your card.