Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2014 06:07:01 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printcap configuration problem

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014, Beeblebrox wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Cups has been borked for some time, so I must use lpd. Several problems when
> configuring /etc/printcap however. So far what I have:
>
> 1 HP2100tn:rm=192.168.1.9:rp=RAW1:\
> 2  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp2100:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
> 3  :if=/usr/local/libexec/lf2crlf:\
> 4  :mx#0:sh:
>
> The Problems:
> * Line 1 fails completely with "lpr: lp: unknown printer" when using any
> name other than "lp". Tried:
> NO: HP2100tn:lp=9100@192.168.1.9:rm=HP2100tn:\
> NO: HP2100tn:lp=9100@192.168.1.9:\
> WORKS: lp:lp=9100@192.168.1.9:rm=HP2100tn:\
> WORKS: lp:rm=192.168.1.9:rp=RAW1:\

"lp" is the default printer name.  To use another name, that name must
be given to lpr with -P: lpr -PHP2100tn

Multiple names can be given to a single printer, so one way to get
around that is to use lp and the other name:

lp|HP2100tn:

> * I need to specify below options. Placing in /etc/printcap (line 1) as
> lp;r=300x300;q=draft;c=gray;p=a4;m=auto:\

These are CUPS options.  Standard lpd does not understand them.

>   :rm=192.168.1.9:rp=RAW1:\
> results in the same "unknown printer" error. I need to either find the
> correct syntax for printcap or I could modify /usr/local/libexec/lf2crlf,
> which has:
> #!/bin/sh
> CR=$'\r'
> /usr/bin/sed -e "s/$/${CR}/g"
>
> ## will A4 size info here work?
> #page_width=
> #page_height=
> #border=

The page size does not have anything to do with the printer name.
Unless you're trying to set up multiple names that do different things,
which can be useful.