Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2016 17:04:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
Subject:   Re: Ok How do I boot this monster?

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016, Baho Utot wrote:

> On 11/17/16 14:19, Warren Block wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Nov 2016, Baho Utot wrote:
>>
>>> Ok I have installed 11.0 latest memstick image.
>>>
>>> I patched/hacked bsdinstall ( /usr/libexec/bsdinstall/zfsboot) to install
>>> my zfs raidz2 using 800GB partitions.  And it even worked!
>>>
>>> Now I need to boot this monster as well as my current 10.0 version until I
>>> can build my desktop upon the raidz, then I will decommission the 10.0
>>> version when the 11.0 version is up to snuff.
>>>
>>> I have boot0 install to ada0 which boots win7 and 10.0 freebsd.
>>>
>>> Can this also boot the raidz?
>>
>> No, boot0 is MBR-only.  The easiest way I see to do this is to install
>> gptzfsboot bootcode to the ZFS drives and choose one of them from the BIOS
>> boot menu.  Grub can multi-boot GPT also, although it needs a small
>> partition of its own.
>
> I think the bsdinstall puts that code onto the zfs drives already or am I
> miss informed?
>
> Would creating the raidz on MBR partitions be an answer?

That might actually work.  Too much work, and too much a step backwards
for me.

> Is there a HowTo that shows me how to setup grub if so I have some space left
> on the drives so I can give grub what it needs.

If you have any reasonably standard machine from the last decade or so,
there is a keypress on boot to choose a boot device.  This might have
been disabled, but then could be re-enabled.  For quality home-builder
motherboards like Gigabyte, it's F12.  For quality prebuilt systems like
Dell, it's usually F12.

For HP... it could be pretty much anything.  F10, F9, Esc.  Anything,
really, except F12.