Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 2020 22:12:50 +0000 (UTC)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix-sasl on FreeBSD will not authenticate

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:

> On Tue, July 3, 2018 18:12, Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
>>

>> On 07/03/18 22:39, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions wrote:
>>> On server A we have cyrus-imapd running with spiped listening on
>>> TCP:143.  On server B we have postfix-sasl-3.3.0 running with spiped
>>> listening on TCP:143 linked to server A.
>>>
>>> On server A saslauthd is configured in rc.conf to use rimap to the
>>> localhost:
>>>
>>> saslauthd_flags="-a rimap \
>>>                  -O localhost"    # Use Remote IMAP to authenticat
>>>
>>> Postfix is configured to use saslauth to authenticate outgoing
>>> senders:
>>>
>>> smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
>>> smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = no
>>> smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks =
>>> smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
>>> smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
>>> smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
>>> smtpd_sasl_service = smtp
>>> smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = $smtpd_sasl_security_options
>>> smtpd_sasl_type = cyrus
>>>

>>> But I cannot find any such file named smtpd.conf which, according to
>>> the Postfix documentation, should exist and should contain:
>>>
>>> pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>>> mech_list: PLAIN
>>>
>>> It appears to me that postfix is directly looking in
>>> /usr/local/etc/sasldb2.db itself and, finding no entries, failing to
>>> authenticate.  How do I tell postfix to use the saslauthd daemon
>>> instead?
>>>

>> You must create the file yourself and adjust it to whatever mech you
>> use, in our case it is saslauthd:
>>
>> cat /usr/local/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
>> pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>> mech_list: plain login
>>

> Thank you.  Do you know where the path to the file location is
> specified in the FreeBSD documentation?

It is in the postfix docs. As I recall it says put it in ../sasls (or some
such).