Date:      Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:44:28 +0400
From:      Dmitry Mityugov <dmitry.mityugov@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   differences in supported filesystems between FreeBSD versions

Hello,

I have a small FreeBSD machine at home used as a file server and a
gateway to the Internet. Currently when a new version of FreeBSD is
released (and I have enough time), I copy all the data to another
machine, reinstall FreeBSD from scratch, and copy the data back. I
just realized that I probably can keep the data on a separate drive
and just reinstall the OS without moving the data back and forth, but
I am not sure how safe it is. Is it safe to use a HDD partitioned and
formatted by one version of FreeBSD with a newer version? I know there
was UFS2 introduced in FreeBSD 5, are there any plans to make any
changes to supported file systems in the foreseeable future?

Thank you in advance for your answers

--=20
Dmitry Mityugov, St. Petersburg, Russia
I ignore all messages with confidentiality statements

"We live less by imagination than despite it" - Rockwell Kent, "N by E"