Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2012 21:38:13 -0500
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disk Errors

at 11:40 AM, dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net> wrote:

>> Just curious, I
am sure the likely issue is a bad disk, but I thought there might be a
chance this could be caused by possibly by something else.

>> I have
three 1TB disks I use for backup, two of them are Western Digital drives
I bought specifically for this purpose. One is a Seagate drive that came
out of a barebones PC that I replaced with a couple smaller drives in a
stripe to gain performance. I use the drives in an external SATA dock,
using geom eli encryption, the western digital drives give me no
problems, but the seagate drive gives me a lot of the following errors
under load.

>> ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA48 retrying (1 retry left)
LBA=817755328
>> ad4: WARNING - WRITE_DMA48 UDMA ICRC error (retrying
request) LBA=837397120
>> ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA48 retrying (1 retry
left) LBA=879786112
>> ad4: WARNING - WRITE_DMA48 UDMA ICRC error
(retrying request) LBA=882931200
>> ad4: WARNING - WRITE_DMA48 UDMA ICRC
error (retrying request) LBA=890542016
>> ad4: WARNING - WRITE_DMA48
UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=902767296
>> ad4: TIMEOUT -
WRITE_DMA48 retrying (1 retry left) LBA=904071296

> This type of
problem has been a consistent problem on FreeBSD until mid 8.x range.
Try upgrading your system to something a little more modern.

> --

Adam Vande More

Its running 9.0-RELEASE-P3 updated from source from an
original install of 8.2 on this hardware.

I have done the firmware
update on the drive, so hopefully I will see an improvement in about 2
hours when tonights backups kick off.

--
Thanks,
 Dean E. Weimer