Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:54:57 -0700
From:      garys@opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   StarBSD OS and Star OS -- Was: BSDLinux OS

Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com> writes:

> Anyone want to port FreeBSD to the Linux kernel? This is what I'm thinking...

And this is what I'm thinking...

I'd like to see a set of mini-distributions which are various
combinations of: 1) kernel (*BSDs and, if Nikolas can manage it,
Linux :), 2) root file system code (preferably, a selection of those
supported by the kernel), 3) an installer which installs the rest of
the OS and applications using "pkgsrc" off other CDs (or another part
of a DVD) or off the network, etc.  There could be choice in the
installer if some like GPL and others don't, graphics or text, etc.
And if this could be done with "pkgsrc", I suppose it could support
multiple package systems.

My main motivation is to have all (ha!) of the non-GNU people
maintaining the same basic programs and documentation.  Competition in
the kernel seems to be enevitable and even desirable, but I doubt if
anyone cares as much about the other basic OS software, and if they
do, they can always have competing packages.  Currently, a lot of work
is duplicated on the BSD OSes or too-often it just doesn't get done,
at least on some BSDs.

The main downside (besides too much work until the current BSDs are
made obsolete :) is that it would result in a lot of versions even
worse than Linux because it would be so easy to create them.

Another problem is related to system control scripts.  I think that
there could be no choice in such system and it would probably use
NetBSD's rc.d which is also now FreeBSD's, AFAIK.

And the documentation job would be made harder, but there would be
more people doing it, eventually, if the many OS versions can share
it.

And I suspect that there are many more impediments to such a modular
OS than I'm aware of, and they're probably already in mailing lists.