Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 13:03:40 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, Brian Tao <taob@io.org>, FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Restricting ping -s and -l

Eat good food, preserve nature, be nice to all nice people :)

On Mon, 25 Mar 1996, David Greenman wrote:

> >Speaking of ping, anyone mind if I modify ping to print out ICMP errors that
> >it receives in response to the ICMP_ECHO messages that it's sending out?  It
> >has always bothered me that you have to use "ping -v" to diagnose things like
> >getting ICMP unreachables.
>
>    Yes, I'd like to see this, too. "ping -v" is far too verbose on a busy
> machine...when all I'm interested in is my own stuff.

How about a special flag to tell it not to be *so verbose*? Something
like ping -vb (following pkzip) or something like that. It would keep it
more compatible with existing scripts which happen to use the output of ping.

	Sander (hoping not to have rewrite his scripts)