Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 12:34:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, blkirk@float.eli.net, jdn@acp.qiv.com, tlambert@primenet.com, sbabkin@dcn.att.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On 04-Mar-98 Wilko Bulte wrote:

>> Where does that leave kernel RAID?  I like controller level RAID
>> because:
>>
>> a.  Much more flexible in packaging;  I can use of-the shelf disks in
>>     off-the-shelf cases if I choose to).
>
> Assuming *good* drives, with *good* firmware. This is as you know not as
> obvious as it sounds ;-)

Of course not.  But moving the logic into the kernel will not solve it.  I
have always had good success with dedicated controllers.  The CMD box, a
DPT controller typically work very well.  The only disapointment (at the
time) was Mylex. But that probably changed since.

>> b.  In the case of a DPT, you get better performance and better
>>     reliability, as I have three busses to spread the I/O across, and
>>     three
>>     busses to take fatal failures on.
>
> Yep. Apart from that customer that had a 3 channel Mylex but used only
> one
> to attach drives to. Wanted to save on the hot-plug case for the drives.
> Well, never mind... You can guess what has happened. 3 channel is the
> bare minimum IMO.

The numbers are simple, and can be easily derived from the SCSI specs
(Justin can correct me where I am off base here), but a SCSI bus is good
for 400-600 TPS, a drive is good for about that manym and about 4-6MB/Sec,
the BUS is not good for much more.  If you play with latencies, you arrive
at 4-6 drives per bus.  PCI-memory is good for 120MB/Sec on a sunny day, on
a P6-200 FreeBSD (UP) is good for about 2,000 interrupts/Sec.  The eventual
throughput is derived from these numbers.

> ? I don't quite follow you I think. We *still* do RAID to avoid service
> disruption.

Yes.  But service will be disrupted from O/S and application crashes many
times more.  Whe disk packs were manually loaded, etc. a RAID actually
contributed significantly to uptime.  Today we do it to reduce the damage
WHEN there is a failure, not as much to prevent the failure.

This is where my work in HA comes in.  It provides a ``CPU RAID'' at the
service level. A Traditional FT does it at the instruction level.  FreeBSD
is not a good candidate for that.  I also think that instruction level
redundency is excessive for most applications FreeBSD is fit for.  But
having the service continually available can be a boon to its popularity in
certain circles.

I think we need to look in this direction as NT is starting to offer some
such functionality, and we compete with NT.  Let Linux compete with
Win9{5,8}.  there is overlap between NT and W95.  There is (even
more) overlap between Linux and FreeBSD, but the ``market'' differentiation
is there nonetheless.

>> I think the focus changed from operational feature to insurance policy.

> Like going bankrupt or collide in midair in case of an aircraft tracking
> system.

Yes. These two examples are very good.  They are all about recovery time.
Computers fail.  A true FT will detect and correct it at the instruction
level (almost or exactly).  This is crucial for the control surfaces in a
fly-by-wire airplane.  A financial transaction can tolerate a second, or
seconds lapse in service during an error detection/correction, as long as
the logical database is still coherent.  My HA model guarantees the second
and does absolutely nothing for the first.

Simon