Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 03:17:19 +0200
From:      Markus Stumpf <maex-freebsd-hackers@Space.Net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   squid and FreeBSD (was: Re: Nice FreeBSD mention)

On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 03:19:31PM -0400, Natty Rebel wrote:
> > In a different section, they mention some tuning that they had to do to
> > get FreeBSD to hop a long a bit faster...  I don't have the exact URL
> > handy, but it's in the software section...  Perhaps the tips they suggest
> > could be incorporated into a FAQ or note somewhere...
> here's the url
> 	http://polygraph.ircache.net/caveats.html

The IMHO more speed limiting factor I experience is with swapping.
I have asked this list some time ago, but none of the answers (thanks
again anyway ;-) did help.

I have a FreeBSD 2.2.5 box with 256 MB RAM.
It's dedicated to squid (1.NOVM.22), no other services running.

"top" says

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
 8542 root      2 -15   204M   177M select  60:27  0.00%  0.00% squid

From that point I would imagine that 256 MB RAM is enough to fit in
squid and - with about 50 megs left - some other processes.

However, due to the precautionary swapping algorithm in FreeBSD
squid gets swapped out and after running some time. squid then reports
a ratio of page faults to http requests > 1 and the system is constantly
swapping.
This can also be monitored with "systat -vmstat".
My current solution is to restart the squid every 2-3 weeks or so.
This puts the above ratio down to 0.5 and from that it increases
within this period to 1.0 again.

I also thought of completely removing swap space on the machine.
Do you guys think it would help? Or would it crash squid/the system?
(I am rather careful with try and error in this case as not to interupt
service for our customers, who rely on the cache a lot).

Any comments/suggestions/solutions welcome!

Other than that we are more than happy with FreeBSD:
$ uptime
 3:05AM  up 251 days,  3:03, 3 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.03, 0.09

:-))))

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | In a world without