Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 09:27:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.netplex.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Libraries with library dependancies

Peter Wemm wrote:

> What I would like is a minimal /lib, containing a few key libraries like
> libc.so, libutil.so, etc and have everything dynamic.

I support that idea too.  It's time.  We can't support all-static
systems forever.  It's becoming a ball and chain as more and more
applications use loadable modules with dlopen().  [Note to Terry: Aww,
shut up and show me the code! ;-)]

> Incidently, making / shared isn't the only way of doing it if you're
> prepared to get creative and compile static and dynamic libraries
> differently.... ie: dynamic libc uses dlopen() to implement the
> switches, while the static libc does a pipe/fork/etc and makes a
> pipe-based procedure call instead of a dlsym() direct call.

*gag* *choke* *cough*

> Nah, that's much too radical, they'll never buy it.

Ya got that right! :-)

John
---
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong