Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:45:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher T. Johnson" <cjohnson@neunacht.netgsi.com>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, shocking@prth.pgs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Further on tape & CAM problems

> As Christopher T. Johnson wrote ...
>
> > REGARDLESS!
> > 	The drive is reporting an error condition and that error is NOT
> > 	getting back to user land.  I've verified the problem with amdump
>
> Oh? Where/what is the error, does the console tell you?

Sorry, no error reported, just the lights.  Amber light, no green solid.
Either the kernel has the device "active" OR it is an error indicator.
Exabyte is known for doing that.

> > 	amflush and dd.  In ALL cases once the amber light goes on solid
> > 	systat -vmstat shows a solid 1.4MB/second data transfer into
> > 	never never land.
>
> That sounds like a bug. But it could be CAM not understanding that the
> 8200 firmware went to Nowhere-land. If I got a dime for each Exabyte
> lockup..

Yep, been there done that.  But these drives have been rock solid.  It is
not the case of putting in a new, unknown drive and finding out that
it is a little strange.  It is the case where I have a hardware configuration
that has been stable that suddenly isn't.

The original change is the upgrade to 4.0-CURRENT.  After that drive
"failed" I took our back up drive and put it into production and got exactly
the same failure mode.

Here is the sequence that I just did:
	Old working tape.
	mt erase &
		1hr 30minutes or so later
		Drive makes sounds of tape stopping.
	Amber light comes on
	mt erase reports done (no errors)
	mt rewind
		mt: /dev/nrsa0: Device busy
	push button on face plate
		amber light goes out, tape noises.
		Green light comes on.
	mt rewind
		tape is ejected at the same place as all the other failures.
	push tape back into drive
		Drive is ejected.
	manually rewind tape (Yeah Yeah, I know don't do it but the exabyte
		ejects the tape each time it is reinserted until I have
		it mostly rewound)
repeat with new tapes old tapes and almost new tapes.... Same thing
	Chris