Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:21:32 +1300
From:      Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>
To:        treznor@sunflower.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reserved IP Addresses

Tyler McGeorge wrote:

> That's your ADSL modem. When I traceroute on my box,
> my second hop is a 10. address.

No it's not. My ADSL modem doesn't have an IP address. I'm speaking
PPPoE to the modem, which is speaking PPPoATM to the far end. The modem
in the middle doesn't get an IP as the PPP link only has two ends, one
at my Unix box and one at the far end. There's no "middle" to get an IP
address. My machine gets 210.55.70.x, the far end (telco) has
210.55.70.254. The 192.168 address comes after that.

I happen to know for a fact (from talking to my friend who runs a local
ISP) that Telecom NZ uses 192.168.x.x addresses internally for various
parts of their ADSL network, and even have things sufficiently
misconfigured to announce those addresses into his router (which caused
him great surprise initially, he couldn't figure out why the office
machines on a 192.168.x.x subnet behind NAT suddenly couldn't talk to
anything - Telecom had announced a route for that subnet).

							-- C.