Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 17:51:06 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Licia <licia@o-o.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a "how did you hear about us?" form on www.freebsd.org?

[ snipped for space ]

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
> Licia wrote:
> >
> > So freeware authors would be able to get listed in the branded software area
> > on the web site?
>
> Yes!!

Excellent :)  I think this is a great way to offer encouragement :)

> > Would there be criterion on size/quality of a branded
> > project, or could someone write a clone of echo and get listed? :)
>
> Common sense, hopefully.  I wouldn't expect to brand "echo", but perhaps a
> suite of utilities like psutils could be, if somebody wants to brand it.
> There is no reason why programs like XV and Ghostscript couldn't be, for
> instance.

The reason I asked this, is that I am concerned about the people who would be
more interested in getting listed in the archive than doing real development
:)  If someone weren't really developing material, but wanted an ego boost,
they could do something like clone echo and try to get listed, but I think
allowing that would degrade the value of the archive...

(paranoid woman at times :) )

> > (nods) an interesting site, and I do think we could learn a lot from it.
> > My main concern isn't the commercial developers though.  As our numbers grow
> > and FreeBSD becomes better known, such support is nearly inevitable I think. I
> > worry more about keeping FreeBSD 'in the loop' as far as freeware support, and
> > enticing people to use FreeBSD as a native development platform, any thoughts
> > on how the branding effort could be used there?
>
> The purpose here is to get "application" vendors to put FreeBSD logos
> on their products and their web pages.  Hopefully the web page entries
> will be linked to our web page, and the "box" logs will include a URL
> or something like that.  The idea here is to advocate FreeBSD, after all.

(nods) I agree completely, I'm just trying to see how this effort can be used
to advocate FreeBSD as a development platform :)

I do development under it on a daily basis, find it a wonderful os for both
development and desktop use as well as server, and I want to make sure all
three areas get a little advocating  :)

     [ licia@o-o.org ] [ http://www.o-o.org/~licia/ ] [ Alias : Ladywolf]
     [ Telnet to o-o.org and log in as bbs ]    [ ssh -l bbs -C o-o.org ]
     [        A happy user of FreeBSD : http://www.freebsd.org/         ]

  main(){int num[4]={1768122732,762265697,1919889007,103};printf("%s\n",num);}