Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:03:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Licia <licia@o-o.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a "how did you hear about us?" form on www.freebsd.org?

[snipped here and there for space :) ]

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
> Licia wrote:
> >
> > [ snipped for space ]
> >
> > The reason I asked this, is that I am concerned about the people who would be
> > more interested in getting listed in the archive than doing real development
> > :)  If someone weren't really developing material, but wanted an ego boost,
> > they could do something like clone echo and try to get listed, but I think
> > allowing that would degrade the value of the archive...
>
> Oh, you mean like my "nologin" program I contributed several years ago, just
> to get on the contributors list?  Well, not JUST to get on the contributors
> list, it does provide a useful function.

(grin) No, nologin serves a useful purpose, I'm talking about the people who
would try to brand 'hello world' :)  (i.e. will there be any minimum
requirements as to what can be branded?)

> > (paranoid woman at times :) )
>
> I just got back from watching The Matrix.  My paranoia is running rampant;
> running around the house kicking things over actually.  I hope it'll calm
> down and let me go to sleep soon.

(grins) I think I'm just flashing back to something else that happened years
ago, a noble project was started, but ended up having no value to anyone,
because the less mature among that group wanted the 'status' that went with
being Listed :/

Hmm if it's got your paranoia jumping that much, I'll mark it as a "must see"
:)

> > (nods) I agree completely, I'm just trying to see how this effort can be used
> > to advocate FreeBSD as a development platform :)
>
> Hopefully by showing that others are actually SELLING software to FreeBSD
> users.  I'd certainly happily pay $99 for a good word processor that doesn't
> eat the system, like Gobe Productive for BeOS.  I'd probably pay $40 or $50
> for a good email client; the user interface on everything except Netscape
> Communicator sucks, and Communicator sucks functionally.

(nods) I'm about to register a few products myself :)  WP8, and XClamation :)

I'm also about to write a nice 'thank you' note to a man who writes a very
very nice freeware package (xanim) as I adore that program :)

> > I do development under it on a daily basis, find it a wonderful os for both
> > development and desktop use as well as server, and I want to make sure all
> > three areas get a little advocating  :)
>
> I wish I could.  By the time I get home from work, I barely have the energy
> to answer my email, let alone write more code.  ;^(

(grin) I'm one of those lucky few who -love- her job :)  When I get home I
usually feel very good :)  I've just gotten behind lately from a ton of little
things left over from moving (The first time I've moved in 8 years, and I had
a lot of help last time, so I wasn't prepared :( )

Hmm is there any particular code you need written?

     [ licia@o-o.org ] [ http://www.o-o.org/~licia/ ] [ Alias : Ladywolf]
     [ Telnet to o-o.org and log in as bbs ]    [ ssh -l bbs -C o-o.org ]
     [        A happy user of FreeBSD : http://www.freebsd.org/         ]

  main(){int num[4]={1768122732,762265697,1919889007,103};printf("%s\n",num);}