Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 2010 01:01:48 -0500
From:      Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fetching mail (but not fetchmail)

n Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM, Matthew Seaman <
m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> On 24/12/2010 03:27, Chris Brennan wrote:
> > Bit of an odd question. But I will try. Is it possible to set up some
> > mechanism (in freebsd or maybe gentoo (doesn't matter to me)) to pop/imap
> > into my mail location and download everything as storage and then I imap
> > my local machine to read my mail. I realize I can pop/imap directly into
> my
> > mail, the goal of this exorcise is to store my mail on one of my local
> > servers and not my windows machine which can change at a moment's notice.
> (I
> > just don't like the idea of permanent/long-term storage in Windows :/ )
>
> fetchmail -- http://fetchmail.berlios.de/ plus dovecot --
> http://www.dovecot.org/
>
> They're in ports.
>
>        Cheers,
>
>        Matthew

Thanks but I I think maybe I wasn't entirely clear. With fetchmail (which is
why I said but not fetchmail in the subject) I very well can download all my
mail. For reading locally, on the console (not what I had in mind). Or is
this where dovecot comes into play? To prepare the previously fetched mail
and prepare it for pop/imap access?