Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:01:43 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: have bad fstab causing boot error

On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:03 AM, fbsd_user wrote:

> fstab is bad and boot drops me into "manual root filesystems spec"
>
> I answer ufs:ad0s1a
> and get these messages
>  "warning / was not properly dismounted"
> "warning R/W of / denied. filesystem is not clean  run fcsk"
>
> when I enter fsck command nothing happens.
> What is procedure to follow here???

	Once it asks you for your shell in single user mode, you either
choose it or just press enter for /bin/sh, and then you want to do this:
# mount -o rw /dev/ad0s1a / #mount -a works nicely here too.
# /sbin/fsck /dev/ad0s1a

	Be wary of fixing any issues if you don't have softupdates enabled.
	Also, you should fsck any other slices that you had mounted at the
previous time when the system was improperly shutdown / the
filesystems improperly dismounted.
-Garrett