Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:53:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap-related problems

Chuck Robey once stated:

=He's not talking about an artificial limit, he's talking about another
=user making off with all the memory.  This sounds very bizarre, how can
=you possibly ask the system to predict what other user's are going to
=ask for, in advance?  You can't possibly get absolute permissions on
[...]
=These are fundamental design problems (which you have been told already)
=and the way that FreeBSD chooses to act is arguably a very good one.
=There is nothing here that violates any fundamental rules, because we
=are talking about OS wide allocation strategies.  If you need
=guarantees, then you have to buy more memory, more swap, and have less
=hungry users.

All I want is that a program gets NULL from malloc if there is no memory
available. I find that to be a very fundamental thing about malloc.

In response, me and others are told at different times:

	. there is no such thing as "no memory available" (!!!)
	. you can get that behaviour by limiting the user's maximum
	  datasize
	. this wouldn't work without dumping the overcommit strategy,
	  which would demand more memory and will slow things down
	. be a better sysadmin
	. get more memory and swap
	. this discussion is annoying and fruitless (!!!)

I find this responses unacceptable, or only partially acceptable...

	-mi