Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 18:47:46 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Libman" <jeffrl@wantabe.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: code optimized for cpu

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 03:08:01PM -0500, Jeffrey J. Libman wrote:
> i am replacing old servers with newer hardward (and o/s version) and i
> want to make sure i understand something correctly.
>=20
> it is my understanding that freebsd (i'm using 4.3 stable) can optimize
> its code for a pentium III cpu, but not for the newer pentium IV's. is
> this correct? should i specifically shop for pIII chips and boards?

The version of gcc in FreeBSD doesn't have optimizations specifically
targetted for intel CPUs newer than the pentium pro.  Newer CPUs will
only get benefits by virtue of looking like a faster Pentium Pro.  I
think the recently released gcc 3.x has optimizations for newer CPUs,
but that's yet to be imported even into -current.

Kris

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4--