Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 21:12:59 -0230
From:      "Jeff Gallagher" <jeffg@cs.mun.ca>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help with tweaking the stack and connections in 4.0

I need a little help here with some aspects of FreeBSD (and perhaps Unix)
that I am not real familiar with.

I need to change the default TCP window size from 16384 to various other
numbers. (Not on the fly of course)
What files do I have to change and what do I have to (re)build to make such
a change take effect?

I also need to increase the total number of simulatanious connections. (Open
connections) I am trying to test some networking software and I need to
flood the connections on the remote box and right now my FBSD box is dying
first - says something like jess: buffer overflow.  (Humm, isn't there a DoS
attack that does this?) Again what file(s) do I need to modify and (re)build
to make such a change.

Is there a specific group of files that control the networking portion of
the OS that will allow me to tweak some of the other details of the stack?

Does anyone off hand have any quantative data on the speed of the TCP stack
in FreeBSD. (Url link maybe?)

Sorry for the perhaps silly questions, but I am not well versed in the
layout and distribution of the FreeBSD sources. I checked LINT to see if
some of these were "obvious" kernel options but the only thing close was the
ICMP bandwith limiting.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jeff Gallagher
jeffg@cs.mun.ca