Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 1996 10:59:47 -0800
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Act Now !

>>> Chuck Robey said:
 > On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Amancio Hasty Jr. wrote:
 >

 > > I guess politics is part of the package when the Internet is so much
 > > on the spotlight :(
 > >
 > > 	Amancio
 > >

 > [huge 'Voice On Net' article deleted]
 >
 > The point being, if use of the internet stopped being an experiemental
 > tool and became one tenth as popular as, say, the web browsers, the
 > internet would stop being useful as a communications medium.  The
 > bandwidth ain't there, and if it was, the swithcing point bandwidth isn't
 > there either.  The internet isn't a viable option for massive replacement
 > of our telephone network.  It's fine for experimenters, and I've been one
 > of them, but if it stopped being experimental, and everybody joined in,
 > this would be a disaster.

Voice is just one data type. One incurs far more bandwith with
downloading images, files, etc...

I think that people are being paranoid for starters many are still
not even connected on the Internet;however, this figure may change
in the near future.

By far the worst Internet polluter has got to be those zillions
of Win95 users and AT&T now providing Internet services.

One would hope that if AT&T is going to provide Internet Services that
they can also support their own infrastructure which happens to support
much of the Internet backbone infra structure.

The Internet is not a real-time delivery network any attempt to
massively use it as such will just simply fail. People can tolerate
slight delays on ftp packets, or downloading images but when it comes to sound
and to a lesser extent live video they get quickly irritated.

	Amancio